

Agenda

Oakland University Student Congress
McGuinness/Caver Administration
Legislative Body Meeting Agenda
Oakland Room, Oakland Center
Monday, May 16, 2005
5:00 P.M.

I. Call to Order

5:08 P.M

II. Roll Call

Absent: Allison Cummings-Stuckman, Cathy Diponio, Jilian Key, George Nahas,
Derrick Putansu, & Cherise Steward

Quorum Established

III. Approval of Minutes from April 18, 2005

Minutes :Approved

IV. Comments from the Gallery

None

V. Approval of Appointed Agent

a. Transition Coordinator- Krupa Ujla

McGuinness: Jim G. ultimate decided not to accept position. My appointment for this position is Krupa Ujla. I submit K. Ujla for your approval.

Vote: Approved

VI. Approval of SPB Executive Board Members

a. Associate Chair- Tamara Kukuk

Vote: Approved

b. Financial Assistant- Randi Clark

Clark: I chose this position because I felt that it would give me experience in my major. (Finance)

Vote: Approved

c. Tech Chair- Josh Rotarius

Vote: Approved

d. recreation and Leisure Chair- Shalonda Dennis

Vote: Approved

e. Lecture Chair- Brittany Gaynor

Vote: Approved

f. Mainstage Chair- Britanni Hobbs

Vote: Approved

g. Visual and Performing Arts Chair- Ransey Slim

Vote: Approved

h. Annual Events Chair- Becky Borkowski

Vote: Approved

i. Publicity Chair- Kristina Ketelhut

Vote: Approved

VII. New Business

a. C.B. 06-02 (Bylaws Amendment-SPB Guidelines, first reading)

Miller: We needed to change the guidelines to make sure that our guidelines were up to date. (read Bylaws and changes)

b. C.R. 06-01 (Upward Bound Advocacy Resolution)

Evans: I was apart of Upward Bound. It was a 4 year commitment. We would take classes to prepare and assist us with the classes that we would take in our perspective high schools. My brother is apart of it, and I would like my sisters to be as well, but that may not happen.

Maurer: Just an idea for us to draft a letter for the politicians to go over.
Yield to McGuinness.

McGuinness: Ms. Caver and I will do that. It is important for OUSC to take a stand. This is an important program for college students. It helps them to get into college and do well.

Vote: Approved

c. C.R. 06-02 (Oakland Center Renovations Support Resolution)

Panchanko: (Reads the Resolution) The Gold Rooms are here. The facilities are used for the Blood Drives, and different presentations. It is out-dated. Maybe Student Orgs would use it if it were more modern. It could use a little sprucing up.

Maurer: How much would it cost and where would it come from?
Yielded to Jean Ann Miller.

Jean Ann Miller: I believe it is the auxillary budget. I just found out about this today. This may go on during the Winter Semester. Which means that the prime programming and needing space will not be there.

Panchanko: I believe it would come from the budget.

McGuinness: It says the external budgets. (i.e. Meadowbrook Theatre, the Rec Center.)

Waquad: Is there any reason why they are doing this in the Winter when most renovations are done in the Spring/Summer.

Caver: They wouldn't even have a whole Spring/Summer if it is approved in June.

Kopson: Is it possible that if we couldn't do the renovations right away, could we get some portable equipment for lighting.

McGuinness: Ms Caver has met with Richard Feckel, because this is our Student Union, and we can go to him and talk to him about

this matter to say that we are in support of the renovation. It gives them more opportunity to rake up x-tra cash when we're not here. You can see the shades are not up to par if you look at the rest of our facilities

Vote: Approved

VIII. Discussion Topics

a. Discussion topic of the month: Interfaith Worship Area

J. Miller: I've heard from students and no one has ever heard of this before. We should try to get the word out. I announced this in all my classes and no one has heard.

Waquad: Students may not have heard it, but a lot of institutions have that. Yielded to J. Miller.

J. Miller: I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but just makes people aware.

Kopson: I experienced similar response to what Mr. Miller has said. Students aren't sure of what's going on. I think it's a great idea to let students know. I just think they are confused.

McGuinness: Saman Waquad will be presenting a proposal on how the Multi-Cultural Round table will run. With that we will see how student orgs want that to run.

Waquad: I thought legislators would go to talk to their friends and people in their classes to see what they think about the area. I'm working on getting feedback from religious organizations and other schools. If we have it, it will be for all religious orgs.

Kopson: The more info we have to put out to students the better it will end up.

b. Research and Review: Hiring/Firing of students from campus jobs; work study

Butler: Due to it being Spring Semester I've had a hard time getting my committee together. The only info I have that the gentleman at Chartwells is out at the time. Therefore, I can't talk to him now.

Motion to table until June 13 meeting. Seconded

Vote: Approved

c. Promoting Active, Well-Rounded Students (PAWS) Program Presentation

K. Miller: A collaboration with Congress, SPB, and SAFB. A part of M/C Platform is greater student involvement.

McCullough: There will be diff. categories to fulfill on the card. They must fill the card, and once they fill it out they will be put into a drawing for scholarships.

K. Miller: It will be a \$100 scholarship to the bookstore. The events are SPB, Educational, Multi-Cultural, Social, and Wild. A Student Congress Meeting is a Wild Event!

Panchanko: Will the stickers say what event it was or are the general stickers.

McCullough: I will present at student org training. They'll hopefully know what they're doing.

McGuinness: With your presentation what kind of feedback would you like to have from the legislative body.

Glatfelter: Shouldn't there be a bill since it is dealing with money.

McGuinness: The massive amount of money won't be until fall/Winter, but we don't want to do the work if you guys don't like it.

K. Miller: It was scary when Mike said Massive. I would think \$2,000. \$1,400 per semester plus extra money for other things.

Straw Vote: Approved

d. Selection of next Discussion Topic of the Month

Waquad: Kresge Library archives and budget

M. Miller: Adding Kresge Library hours to previous nomination

Panchecko: For the sake of a contest – Spirit Rock or Spirit Bear?

e. Additional discussion topics

McGuinness: Tomorrow there is a meeting about the dance ban... anyone have feedback?

Waquad: Non-OU students aren't necessarily the only problem.

Evans: She agrees. "don't beat it to death."

McGuinness: Students believe that no Non-OU Students is a feasible policy. They should be allowed, but there should be extra precautions we should take to ensure safety.

Pszczolkowski: Is there anyone who has said anything about possibly a guest list.

McGuinness: Ms. Caver and I have talked to Dean McIntosh, so that there could maybe be 2 guests per student, or possibly a guest list.

Porter: there is a lack of security. How can we get police presence there. We should look at a mean to detour the violence. How can we make security tighter on campus period. OUPD does not have enough representation for the students on this campus.

K. Butler: I think students should know that if you bring a person who will "act up" students would think twice about who they bring.

Proffett: As I've been to these parties OUPD just lean up against the wall. Along with the signing in there should be a taking of ID's (State & School). Once you leave with your ID, you can't get back in.

Goeth: maybe we should have a larger student cadet force, and that may help.

Evans: I think the ID is a good idea, but I don't know how effective that would be. They do it at Wayne State.

Waquad: Oakland has signed a contract to make the university a town, because if you exclude people from the community, it's not a town.

Porter: It's kind of like a night watch, if you swipe that ID you know who came in. Then again the other idea is good, because if someone is

arrested they won't have an ID. You'll be able to get in contact with that person. The process with the cadets may be helpful, I hope the messages are relayed.

Additional Topics:

J. Miller: I have been helping clean the office over the past few weeks. Last week, I went put in our by-laws that we put what we could put into our archives. The E-Board could through all the old binders with archives and they were a mess. I think we should try to put an end of the year report as well as a legislative representative so that the next body will have an idea of what we've done.

Evans: Would that be limited?

J. Miller: I think that we could add a section for miscellaneous things.

Porter: I don't think that an end of the year report because last years congress had a great year. Weekly reports help with a healthy transition.

Butler: If there was someone taking bits from there and bits from here, it could be done.

J. Miller: I'm trying to save paper, and space. The administration form 97 had 3 binders thick of things.

Stevens: Rather than having an end of the year report we could maybe have a quarterly report. Maybe we could have digital copies of the reports to save space and paper. We could put about an entire semester on the CD.

Waquad: That's a good idea, but we should have a hard, and soft copy because those files could be erased.

Porter: It would take a lot of paper, but we must be organized. That would make the job a lot easier.

Stevens: I don't want to make it seem as if I want no paper, but I think the digital system would be important. Yielded to J. Miller.

J. Miller: I agree with Montrell. When we get to the end of the year, let's be clear as to what we want in here. Let's not put irrelevant things in the archives.

K. Miller: In Vandenberg House Council, we had a historian, or archivist to take pictures and notes of what is happening.

Waquad: Get a mentee to get familiar with the congress office but also work with congress

Glatfelter: I think that we should have full internet archives of student congress. The archivist position may be a good position for a legislator.

Feys: I think that the emails and Facebook business oriented.

K. Miller: The Warm Fuzzy Box is a new addition to the Congress Office. Make someone feel special for doing something for you.

M. Miller: There is a Warm Fuzzy Box in the SPB Office, so use either box.

K. Miller: This Saturday we are doing a Student Congress Community Service Project with habitat for Humanity.

Proffett: Are there specific jobs laid out?

K. Miller: They will be there.

McGuinness: Carpooling is an option.

IX. Reports

a. Michael McGuinness- Student Body President

This is an outstanding and phenomenal Body. You should have a lot of faith and optimism for this upcoming year. Big plans are in the making for the fall. Change is good!

b. Kori Caver- Student Body Vice President

We are attempting to get the computer in the lab of the Congress office. We are working with the UTS Department to get on one network. Feel Free to fill out a Library Survey, and encourage students to do the same.

c. Brendan Stevens- Financial Affairs Director

(read from Report) and spoke on Krupa Ujla's report (The Congress Newsletter)

d. Lindsay McCullough-Student Activities Funding Board Chair:

(Report is written)

e. Madalyn Miller- Student Program Board Chair:

I Met with the SPB E-Board. Ying Yang Twins and Vanessa Carlton. Napoleon Dynamite for the outdoor movie, and an exciting event for the Anti-hate Week. I think that this will be a great year.

f. Katie Miller Student Services Director:

report on Orange Cream Sick Paper. Books outside of the Congress Office. Will always be two sections here what I have done and here's what I need from you. I will be out of town starting June 2. If you need me, Saturday is the day.

g. Saman Waquad- Legislative and Multicultural Affairs Director:

I met with Michelle Black. If there are any ideas let me know.

X. Updates:

Porter-Disciplinary Chair:

Me and the committee have not met and we will meet June the 13. I will have a full report for you. My birthday is on July 26 after the July 25 meeting.

Butler-research & Review:

I will work on getting my committee more involved. I'll have a report done for the next meeting. I have gotten a bit of hostility from Chartwells.

McGuinness: Ms. Allen has done some research to help with your committee. You don't have to do this all alone.

Allyson Cummings-Stuckman-Scholarship Committee Chair:

Absent

J. Mille-Steering Committee Chair:

The Steering Committee is always at work for you. Sat to decide on rules for the agendas:

-E-board reports are limited to one minute and thirty seconds.

-Comments from the Gallery: initial speaking is limited to three minutes with the option to extend available always to the legislative body. Question and answer time is unlimited.

-Resolutions, bills, speaker names, and discussion topics are due at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning before the meeting. You MUST circulate these items to the legislative body (by e-mail is best, but posting a paper copy in the office will suffice...just be sure to inform me!) or they will not be placed on the agenda.

-Announcements are due by 3 P.M. Monday afternoons.

Allen: Could we do additional announcements?

K. Miller: Maybe we could use a dry-erase board for the additional announcements.

Announcements

none

Comments from the Gallery

Jean Ann Miller: The meeting for August 23 is the same day as Jump Start. June 3 is the Student Union trip.

Meeting adjourned 7:15 P.M